ABOUT THE BALKAN UNIVERSITIES ASSOCIATION
The Balkan Universities Association is a free association of the founding universities and is open to other universities in the Balkan Area. The association was established on April 21st, 2014 in Edirne. The Permanent General Secretariat of the Balkan Universities Association is assured by the Trakya University, at its own expense and logistics. Trakya University also serves as the permanent member of the Executive Committee of BUA. The governing body of the Balkan Universities Association is the Congress, which is annually organized by the university which holds the presidency. The Congress has the right to elect the next president of the Balkan Universities Association. Between the congresses, the leadership of the Balkan Universities Association is provided by the Executive Committee, which is formed by the former president, the current president, the future president and Trakya University. The decisions related to the structure of Balkan Universities Association are adopted by majority vote of BUA members.
The Presidency of the Balkan Universities Association is ensured, by rotation, by the member universities of Balkan Universities Association. The mandate of president of the Balkan Universities Association is 1 year, starting from 1st of January until 31st of December, and cannot be attributed to the same university sooner than 5 years from the last mandate’s expiring date, held by the same university. Two consecutive mandates of President of the Balkan Universities Association are excluded for universities of the same country.
Aims and objectives
The primary aim of Balkan Universities Association (BUA) is to determine a leading vision for the future through the universities, the libraries, the research centers in Balkan region on the base of common global values by considering the necessities of the time. Besides, forming up a scientific network in the areas of the language, the culture, the art, the history, the economy, the education and sports and caring out collaborative scientific works in these areas are aims of BUA. This, following objectives are determined:
- To improve an intercultural dialogue considering the importance of the region
- To form lasting and solid scientific cooperation from the past to the future
- To establish an association with universities that are active, acknowledged, followed and preferred in science andacademic world on a global scale.
- To make joint scientific studies, researches and innovation works.
- To provide opportunities in methods, techniques and cooperation for increasing the efficiency of research anddevelopment activities.
- To organize common cultural, artistic and sportive activities
- To organize exchange programs for academic staff (such as Erasmus and Mevlana Exchange Programs)
- To organize exchange programs for students (such as Erasmus and Mevlana Exchange Programs)
- To conduct mutual accreditation process
- To organize joint diploma programs
- To organize education in Balkan Languages
- To form a communication network which will enable to exchange of knowledge among academicians
- To prepare and conduct joint scientific research projects and to conduct their applications